Population 12,000 (2011)
Truro is known as the Hub of Nova Scotia as it is located at the junction between the Canadian National Railway, running between Halifax andMontreal, and the Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway, running between Truro and Sydney. An important highway interchange is located just north of Truro in the rural community of Onslow where Highway 102 ends at Highway 104 - both four lane expressways.
Truro has two public high schools, Cobequid Educational Centre and the francophone École acadienne de Truro. Post-secondary options include a campus of the Nova Scotia Community College, and The Institute of Human Services Education, as well as the Agricultural Campus of Dalhousie University in the neighboring town of Bible Hill.
Truro is home to the Truro Bearcats, a Junior "A" ice hockey team who are two time MJAHL Champions. Canadian Football is also a popular sport in the town with all games being played on Friday night at the Truro Amateur Athletic Club (TAAC) grounds. Truro Raceway conducts harness races every Sunday. Truro is also home to a rugby club, which hosts the World Indoor Sevens Rugby Championships.
A The Mi'kmaq name for the Truro area, "Wagobagitik" meaning "end of the water's flow", was shortened by Acadian settlers to "Cobequid" who arrived in the area in the early 1700s and by 1727 had established a small village near the present downtown site of Truro known as "Vil Bois Brule" (Village in the burnt wood). Many Acadians in this region left in the Acadian Exodus which preceded the Expulsion of the Acadians in 1755. The town was resettled in 1761 by Presbyterians of predominantly Ulster Scottish origin who came from Ireland via New England. It is named after the city of Truro in Cornwall, England.
Originally a small farming community, the construction of the Nova Scotia Railway between Halifax and Pictou in 1858 caused the municipality to experience a fast rate of growth which increased even more when the railway connected to Central Canada in 1872. The railway also attracted industries such as the Truro Woolen Mills in 1870 (which later became Stanfield's) and provincial institutions like the provincial Normal School (later the Nova Scotia Teachers College) and the Nova Scotia Agricultural College. The town officially incorporated in 1875. Many figures from the town's past are featured in over 40 tree sculptures which were carved in tree trunks after Truro lost most of its Elm trees to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1990s.